Monday, March 23, 2009

March



In March I watch the brief, bleak winter days grow into undying summer solstices. I fill out a bracket and cheer for underdogs. I celebrate my father’s birthday. I lose an hour of sleep for the sake of sunny nights.

Nine years ago this March I joined my family as we boarded a plane bound for the United States. My family was sad to leave our beautiful home in Brazil, but when I look back on that day, I'm just happy that we were all together.

With my family here in Utah for spring break, I savor the time I spend staving off the inevitable apart-ness that looms as I plan to leave on a mission.

Last March our family was only partially together. My older sisters being victims of BYU’s vacation-less winter semester, my parents, Jake, Ellen and I set out for our spring break vacation in D.C. as a family of five.

We drove together through the thawing forests and hazy clouds of the East, on highways blasted out of the brown hillsides. Hours passed under an empty grey sky. But after a day in the car, we arrived at a place we once called home—beautiful Virginia, with no billboards to clog the humid blue air and enough trees to satisfy any Midwesterner.

But far better than the beautiful scenery and peace I find in that first state are the friends I have there. By a strange twist of fate I’ll always be grateful for, I ended up moving into the same BYU dorm hallway as a childhood friend from Virginia. We had no memories of our time together as two-year-olds, but now we are friends just the same. And he has introduced me to a handful of people I have little doubt would have been my closest friends had I not left the state in '94.

March for me has always been a time of reunion. Reunion with this wonderful country, reunion with those I love, and reunion of long-lost friends.

Now the memory of that chilly March drive to Virginia warms my heart with the joy of friends reunited…the foreboding March cold in the nation’s capital replaced with searing springtime sun. The vapid winter dies and life promises to abound for many days to come.

In March I turn on the TV and see young athletes full of dreams. I retire late and wake to a cool, bright, and alive world. The earth of the mountains begins to shift slowly to greener hues. I laugh and idle away the hours with people I love.

At this crossroads of the seasons, I look ahead with hope. In this March of 2009, I received a call to serve as a missionary in California. My mother pointed out that the call came on the fourth. “March fourth,” she said. “And that’s what you’ll do. March forth.” March is so bitter and so beautiful. But in a time where I taste such a multiplicity of emotions, I can only press on with the hope of springtime. I can only march forth, for I know now that winter pain is soon replaced with peace, grey emptiness with friendship, and that the equinox of loneliness will give way to the rising brightness of love.

1 comment:

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.